[Rt-devel] CC-ing Other Queues in RT?

Joby Walker joby at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 15 15:15:48 EDT 2006

This is generally a very bad idea, because it is very easy for a loop to
be generated:

Ticket A has Ticket B as a CC,  and Ticket B has Ticket A as a CC, then
on Reply Ticket A emails B, who emails back to Ticket A....

We've implemented a new link type for this scenario -- Super/Sub, with
the following workflow:

1) On creating a Sub ticket the create message is added to the Super
ticket as a comment
2) A reply on the Sub ticket is added as a comment on the Super ticket
3) Super can optionally push a reply or comment to the sub ticket as a
comment.

This works in most scenarios but we've considered adding some additional
bits to RT::Interface::Email::Gateway to allow us to create additional
tickets by using the email "+" syntax.

Most email servers should ignore anything between a + and @ in an
address.  For example:  rt-devel+new at lists.fsck.com is the same as
rt-devel at lists.fsck.com.

So we've speculated that if we add some smarts to Gateway to detect an
RT address with the + syntax a new ticket is created for that specific
address.  We could then implement some nifty auto linking so:

address+new@  -- creates a new ticket (instead of just going to the old
ticket)

address+refer@ -- creates a new ticket that refers to the old ticket

address+depend@ -- creates a new ticket that depends on the old ticket.

This work is just speculation now since we have other priorities...

Joby Walker
C&C SSG, University of Washington