[Rt-devel] Using CVS to manage RT customizations

Joby Walker joby at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 29 19:52:02 EDT 2006

SCManage is a PHP application that I wrote a few years ago.  It is
pretty crude -- since I was the target audience so I didn't care about
beauty.  Each project in SCManage is defined by an ini file that
indicates the SVN repository path and where to store the working copy on
the local filesystem (an some other bits).  From the interface you can
select a tag/branch that you want to use switch/update/revert the local
working copy.  The original architecture (that I preferred) had the web
servers check to see if there was an update and if so rsync to perform
the update.  But because of some conditions that are not of import here,
I had to add the ability to push from SCManage to the web servers.
Currently I just have the web app call a script which performs the rsync
to the proper locations -- you can also do a dry run to see what will be
modified.

I'm certain that some elements would need to be re-written for anyone
else to use.  The first major bit is that we use a different structure
for our SVN repos.  Instead of the standard BTT (branch/ tag/ trunk/)
directories we have dev/, prod/, and <username>/.  Each directory has
branches and tags (trunks and releases in our parlance): dev for dev
stuff; prod for production stuff; and <username> for that user's code.

Joby Walker
C&C SSG, University of Washington