[Rt-devel] Migrating RT 3.4 from MySQL to Oracle

Jeff Albert jralbert at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 8 12:27:07 EDT 2007

Hi Jesse,
No, we haven't brought these issues to the mailing list; performance
isn't actually that bad for most basic queries, which are of course
already index supported, but occasionally we'll get a few people all
doing big "show me all tickets where content matches x" searches and
performance will suffer for everyone; we've had some issues with MySQL's
InnoDB ibdata files getting really gigantic and sometimes preventing a
restart of MySQL; and, as you say, if we moved in an Oracle direction
we'd have the support of a team of DBAs to assist with these sorts of
issues.

One of the biggest problems we've had, actually, and the one that's
pushing us in the direction of Oracle, has been a problem with running
out of memory during mysqldumps, which we use as part of our backup
process for MySQL databases. Research hasn't turned up much: we're
already using the --quick flag that's often recommended to solve this
issue, with no success. If you or the fine readers of this list had any
suggestions on this one, I'd be very grateful.

At any rate, I am still interested in migrating to Oracle, as it's a
well supported environment here, so I'll restate my original questions:
have people made the MySQL to Oracle move? How was it accomplished?

Cheers,
Jeff Albert