[Rt-devel] BUG: Broken Message eaten up by RT

Wolfgang Friebel Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de
Thu May 24 05:06:50 EDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Any other mail servers in there?  Is there any possibility that some
> other MTA is involved that is unhappy with the UTF-8?  (Just
> guessing, but part of the reason mail misbehaviour is usually so hard
> to debug is because of the possibility of intermediate MTAs doing
> relaying.)

Just a clarification, as I was contacting the user who had problems with
that mail, Sven was sending. The mail itself is perfectly ok, but the way
how this mail was sent is not. The user had misconfigured his
terminal/mail client combo.

He used pine and stated that the charset he is using is UTF8. The actual
mail however does contain umlauts coded in ISO8859-1. The mime attachment
announced therefore Text in UTF8 while the content contained chars coded
in ISO8859-1.

While this misconfiguration is rare among our users, it was not the first
time that this combo produced empty or incomplete tickets inside RT.

Sending the mail without involving RT does work (except for some weird
chars init.)

Best regards
--
Wolfgang Friebel                   Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone/Fax:  +49 33762 77372/216    Platanenallee 6