[Rt-devel] Passing an authenticated user to RT

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Feb 11 05:55:12 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 5:18 AM, Mike Peachey wrote:
> he user.
>
> So far, I haven't discovered how I should do this. Apache
> authentication
> and directly applying WebExternalAuth is not a valid option because
> Apache would still be prompting for credentials as the website does
> not
> use apache authentication, it's custom PHP authentication.
>

> Also, the website uses session-cookies to store authentication?
> Could RT
> read these somehow, or could we combine the RT cookies with the
> website
> cookies?

  Can RT get at the php app's cookies? What would the RT need to do to
validate the user's info from the php side?

I've previously cooked up something for a client that:

	* used client-side JS to turn a link from another system into an HTTP
POST to RT with the other system's cookie
	* used LWP and the cookie to do an HTTP GET against the other app.
	* validated the credentials and wrote out an RT session

I can't release the code I used due to the specific client contract,
but the technique should be generally applicable.