[Rt-devel] New RT project for Government

Alejandro Imass aimass at cc.com.ve
Tue Jul 22 12:07:15 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Although we've been RT users for several years now, this is our first RT
implementation on a customer. However, this is not a usual application
of RT. We saw an opportunity to implement RT for citizen's relationship
with Government institutions. So basically, if a citizen has a claim the
go to the institution's web page and create a ticket in RT. I am sure we
are not the first to this, so any comments welcome. BTW we are using 3.6
because is the stable package on Debian 4.

Anyway, my first post is both an introduction and because there are
several things we need to build and adapt and we would like for these
adaptations to be fed back into the main product, if possible and
worthwhile of course. In any case, we plan to develop everything with
RT's guidelines described in the code.

Issue 1 - Auto-registration form
---------------------------------

Our first problem is that we need for the Citizens to be able to
register themselves in RT. Each Citizen needs to be a RT user because
the final response is to the Citizen. This may ringing all kinds of
alarm bells to normal RT usage, because of the sheer amount of users,
and because the adding of users is usually a task reserved for a
privileged user. But this is the way we've modeled it. We are going to
build a self-service registration form that does not require any
privileges.

Before we go and develop this there are several questions we would like
to address here:

-Has anyone else done this?
-Is it of any value for the core RT product?
-Is this crazy?
-Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Alejandro Imass