[Rt-devel] New RT project for Government

Kevin Squire gentgeen at wikiak.org
Tue Jul 22 14:54:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:37:15 -0430
Alejandro Imass <aimass at cc.com.ve> wrote:

<SNIPPED>

> Issue 1 - Auto-registration form
> ---------------------------------
>
> Our first problem is that we need for the Citizens to be able to
> register themselves in RT. Each Citizen needs to be a RT user because
> the final response is to the Citizen. This may ringing all kinds of
> alarm bells to normal RT usage, because of the sheer amount of users,
> and because the adding of users is usually a task reserved for a
> privileged user. But this is the way we've modeled it. We are going to
> build a self-service registration form that does not require any
> privileges.
>
> Before we go and develop this there are several questions we would
> like to address here:
>
> -Has anyone else done this?
> -Is it of any value for the core RT product?
> -Is this crazy?
> -Any other suggestions?

Although the possible numbers are different, we have a similar setup for
RT.  Our RT has 2 queues - one for Helpdesk and one for Human Resources.

Both use the self-service setup - so any Joe Sixpack can send in an
email and have access to create/comment/view his/her own ticket.

Where the real similaritly (if I am reading what you want to have happen
correctly) is that for our HR, we don't use a "published" email address.
 Anyone intereseted in a job at our school goes to
http://www.pavcsk12.org/apply/   That is a PHP form that I created that
will send an email to this unpublished email account.

So for those that are newly applying to our school, here is how it
looks/goes for them:

1) The go to /apply/ on our website, and complete the form
2) email sent to RT from the webform
3) RT sees this is a new user (from the email address) and creates an
   account
4) RT emails back the applicate with a "thank you" as well as the login
   directions
5) Applicant can log into RT at any time to check the current status,
   add notes, view notes, etc.
5) Same time, HR personal can take care of ticket (searching for
   qualifications, review submitted docs, etc)
6) Person is interviewed/Hired/Dismissed/etc

I could very easily see this "translated" to a webform, sumbit to
Government queue (maybe even different queues per Government dept)
Citizen gets reply/directions/etc, Government personal "fixes" citizens
claim.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org