[Rt-devel] [rt-users] MergeUsers extension for RT problem.

Jason A. Smith smithj4 at bnl.gov
Fri Oct 2 12:14:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 11:36 -0400, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> You're going to need to poke in the db, because I haven't seen this
> reported before.  Also, the rt-update-merged-users script is ONLY
> needed if you've upgraded from a 3.6 instance using an old MergeUsers
> extension (there are now bidirectional informational messages).
> You can use select id from Attributes where Name = 'MergedUsers' and
> ObjectId in (447,485) and then run the
> /opt/rt3/sbing/rt-attributes-viewer with the attribute id to see what
> is stored there.

Hi Kevin,

I originally posted this to the users list, but I discovered the cause
of my problem when I looked at the code, and I have a proposed patch, so
I am following up on the devel list.

I was considering using the MergeUser functionality to merge user
accounts created with the WebExternalAuto method and our ExternalAuth,
which have blank email addresses, with the accounts created through
email interaction with RT.  Since one of the accounts didn't have an
email address, it appeared blank.  My proposed patch displays the
account name (which should always be present) and email address if that
is present.

The patch also adds the reverse link, when viewing the user others have
been merged into, their names now link to their modify user page.

While testing this, it seemed a little flaky.  Are there still some
issues or bugs with Real & Effective merged users?


On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 16:48 -0400, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> I am setting up a new RT server, version 3.8.5 and tried
> RT-Extension-MergeUsers, version 0.03 available from CPAN.
> It seems to work as expected, except for one problem.  When viewing the
> target user of the merge, I see a comment like:
>  (485) merged into this user
> But under in the "Merge user" box, it doesn't display the merged
> username correctly, it just says:
> The following users have been merged into this user:
> and then the Unmerge button.
> When viewing the merged user data, I see the complementary comment:
>  Merged into smithj4 at bnl.gov (447)
> and in the "Merge user" box I see more complete info:
> This user has been merged with smithj4 at bnl.gov;
> I also tried manually running the rt-update-merged-users script, but it
> doesn't seem to fix it, and just reports:
> 447 already has 485 in the merge list
> Is this a bug or something missing/wrong with my setup?
> ~Jason
> _______________________________________________
> http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users
> Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
> Commercial support: sales at bestpractical.com
> Discover RT's hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O'Reilly Media. 
> Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com
|  Jason A. Smith                          Email:  smithj4 at bnl.gov |
|  Atlas Computing Facility, Bldg. 510M    Phone: +1-631-344-4226  |
|  Brookhaven National Lab, P.O. Box 5000  Fax:   +1-631-344-7616  |
|  Upton, NY 11973-5000,  U.S.A.                                   |

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: RT-Extension-MergeUsers-0.03_username_display.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 1870 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-devel/attachments/20091002/c17ad4d6/attachment.bin 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 3906 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-devel/attachments/20091002/c17ad4d6/attachment-0001.bin 

More information about the Rt-devel mailing list