[Rt-devel] Requestor attributes in ticket search results

Jérôme Charaoui jcharaoui at cmaisonneuve.qc.ca
Wed Mar 10 16:13:30 EST 2010

Kevin Falcone a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 03:26:31PM -0500, Jérôme Charaoui wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking to have RT display a selection of essential requestor
>> attributes (ie. WorkPhone) in a column on the ticket search result
>> page(s). I understand that the current stable version, RT 3.8.7, can't
>> do this.
>>
>> I haven't dug in very deep into the code, but I understand that some
>> important modifications might need to be made to make this happen.
>>
>> So before going any further, I'd like to know:
>>
>> 1) Is this functionality already planned for a future version?
>
> I'm unaware of any plans
>
>> 2) From someone who's more familiar with the internals of RT, is this
>> even reasonable to attempt considering the extra overhead of creating
>> and maintaining a potentially large custom patch?
>
> If a clean patch was proposed, we'd look at folding it into trunk.

Thanks to the helpful pointers I received, I was able to add the field
quite painlessly. I can see that it's easy to access the Requestor
attributes in this context. For the record, at least these two files
need to be modified :

share/html/Search/Elements/BuildFormatString
share/html/Elements/RT__Ticket/ColumnMap

Now, I'd be interested to create a nice patch for trunk, but first I
need opinions on how we could do this properly considering a ticket can
have multiple requestors, hence multiple RealName, WorkPhone, etc. values.

I think it could either be :

a) Provide a distinct column for each requestor attribute, where the
value for each requestor would be seperated by a comma, like the
existing Requestor column.

b) Provide a distinct column for each requestor attribute like a), but
instead only display the values from the "first" requestor.

c) Display the extra attributes in the Requestor column through a
user-defined filter where the extra fields could be defined from a
config variable, in way similar to DefaultSearchResultFormat.

--
Jérôme Charaoui
Service informatique - Collège de Maisonneuve