[Rt-devel] Upgrading a gigantic 3.4.4 database to 4.0?

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Wed May 4 17:13:24 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 14:06 -0700, Jeff Albert wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. MySQL's error log suggests it's failing to
> allocate memory past about 2.5GB; I'll work with our DBAs to see what
> we can do with MySQL in this area.

This is likely because you're running a 32-bit kernel, and MySQL is
unable to access more memory because of that.  Running a 64-bit kernel
will allow you to allocate more memory to MySQL.

> Generally I'm curious about the feasibility of continuing to run a
> single large instance of RT; presumably at some point the query times
> will just become untenable (bringing up the query builder in our
> existing 3.4 instance can take up to a minute even now). Would you
> recommend separating into smaller instances, or a different approach?

There are existing RT instances with terabytes of data.  Proper tuning,
indexing, and provisioning of your database will go a long way.
 - Alex