[rt-devel] Fetchmail processing order

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Mon Jul 23 19:27:42 EDT 2012

On 07/23/2012 03:12 AM, m4rco- wrote:
> I'm experiencing a strange issue while processing incoming email
> through RT-mailgate, and couldn't find a solution yet.
> When fetchmail retrieves the emails from the IMAP server, RT processes
> them not in the correct order (from the oldest, to the newest).
> This behavior provokes RT to reject status update emails because they
> are processed before the ticket-creation ones.
>
> Do you have any clues about how I can manage this?
> Have been thinking about managing it by coding an RT mail-plugin, but
> i'm quite sure there is a simpler solution at the system/daemon level.

This isn't a problem caused by RT so much as it is a problem caused by
concurrent delivery.  That's the realm of fetchmail and your MDA
(whatever is delivering SysAdm to RT).  An RT mail plugin is a) not a
good option and b) can't fix your problem in any practical way.

How often do you run fetchmail from cron?

Maybe you'll have better luck having fetchmail talk to rt-mailgate
directly using the "mda" option rather than "is SysAdm here".