[rt-devel] RT 4.2.7: application/octet-stream

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Thu Oct 2 18:14:56 EDT 2014

On 10/02/2014 05:33 PM, Brian McNally wrote:
> It looks like my previous email didn't arrive at the list, so resending...

It got here fine; but responding to mailing list mail, particularly on
complex topics, often settles to after the business demands.

> I'm wondering if we can get some additional help with this. I'm not sure
> I'll be able to track down the bug in a timely manner.

If you need solutions on a timeline, I can put you in touch with the
sales side of Best Practical.  Otherwise, things like this -- especially
ones that we can't replicate -- only get time as we have it available.

> For my own
> clarification, my reading of the error indicates that the path is:
> MakeMIMEEntity() -> SetMIMEEntityToUTF8() -> SetMIMEEntityToEncoding()
> Where SetMIMEEntityToEncoding() fails saying it got the wrong input
> (characters vs. a byte string). So, does that mean that a step was
> skipped, where the text should have been converted to a byte string but
> wasn't? Or does it mean that it was a bytestring at one time but somehow
> got converted back to characters? If it helps at all, I found that if I
> used the email interface, and passed my message though mimedefang, I did
> not have this problem (text would render as expected in the web interface).

I gave you my debugging suggestions on my previous mail -- something is
enabling the internal "UTF8" flag, which shouldn't:
> All MIME::Entity bodies in RT should now, as of 4.2.7, be bytes and not
> characters.  For the comment/correspond codepath, this is enforced by
> RT::Interface::WebMakeMIMEEntity -- [1] called from [2].  Check that the
> input to [1] is characters, and that the output from
> ->bodyhandle->as_string contains the UTF-8 encoding of those characters
> -- i.e. no codepoints above 255, and the "UTF-8" flag should be off.
> You will need to rack down where the UTF-8 flag of
> ->bodyhandle->as_string starts being on -- that is where your bug lies.
>  The Devel::Peek module will likely be useful in your investigation.  If
> you have cusomizations or extensions, start by disabling them and see if
> that improves matters.

 - Alex

More information about the rt-devel mailing list