[rt-users] A solution for decoding iso-8859-1 subjects

Jesper Holm Olsen dunkel at diku.dk
Wed May 3 07:25:11 EDT 2000

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Tobias Brox wrote:

> > The trick is to use the MIME-module in perl to decode the quoted-printable
> > characters and then substitute the 'iso-8859-1'-tag away. This can, as I
> > said, probably be done quite more elegant, but hey, it works for me.
> >
> > In lib/rt/ui/web/manipulate.pm, sub display_queue I changed
> > the place where 'subject' is printed to:
>
> Wouldn't it be better to put the hack in mail/manipulate.pm?

I thought about this too, but I think this is a "clean" way to do it as:

1) It must be up to a users mailclient to decode the quoted-printable.
2) If you make a reply, you'd have to encode it once again (this would'nt
   be to hard though, just use MIME::encode_qp.)

Also I have not tested if MySQL supports european characters.

--
Jesper Holm Olsen,  Department of Computer Science and Department of
                    Film and Media studies, University of Copenhagen