[rt-users] A solution for decoding iso-8859-1 subjects

Tobias Brox tobiasb at tobiasb.funcom.com
Wed May 3 07:36:25 EDT 2000

> > Wouldn't it be better to put the hack in mail/manipulate.pm?
>
> I thought about this too, but I think this is a "clean" way to do it as:
>
> 1) It must be up to a users mailclient to decode the quoted-printable.

Ok, that's a point.  Anyway, isn't it also a problem that RT won't
identify the "[MyTag #3432]" string when the subject is encoded?

> 2) If you make a reply, you'd have to encode it once again (this would'nt
>    be to hard though, just use MIME::encode_qp.)

I'd say there is no use for it.  Ok, according to the RFC the subject
should only contain 7-bit characters, but in practice there is never any
problems for it - at least not when sticking to only one character set
(typically ISO-8859-1 for Denmark).

> Also I have not tested if MySQL supports european characters.

No problems storing 8 bit characters in MySQL.  I'm not sure if it has any
logic for separating different character sets ... I guess it uses Locale
to decide how to handle case insensitive searches.

--
Tobias Brox
aka TobiX