[rt-users] mod_perl eating resources

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Mon Aug 20 10:46:55 EDT 2001

MS> Apache is quite good in sharing code. In my setup, each httpd takes
MS> about 18MB (SIZE), but is only 4MB resident (RSS). So, 14MB is shared
MS> between httpd processes. Since we usually have about 40 processes, this
MS> means Apache uses 160MB of real RAM. We have 256, so nothing to worry.

You're confusing non-RSS with shared memory.  Determining the amount
of memory that is shared is difficult, and is highly system
dependent.  The RSS number only indicates the resident set size (ie,
RAM used) which can include shared memory.  The rest of the process
size is some backing store, either the file system or swap.