[rt-users] RT for Abuse handling? Bounce mail?

J.D. Falk jdfalk at mail-abuse.org
Mon Feb 12 17:16:34 EST 2001

On 02/12/01, Lorens Kockum <rt-id-45 at lists.lorens.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 03:49:33PM -0700, Wozz wrote:
> > We are also using RT for abuse handling. 10k+ tickets so far with just a few
> > problems.
>
> Oooh, way cool.  And how do you handle
>
> 1) The fact that you get lots of complaints (n) for one user,
> so you have n+1 channels of communication.  You can merge all
> the complaints, of course, but that's still 2 channels of
> communication.

	Think of each ticket as a conversation, instead of an incident.
	You've got a conversation going on with each complainant, and
	with the accused abuser, each in an individual ticket.

	With RT2 you can create relationships (parent/child, etc) between
	tickets to help keep the incidents straight; that's just one of
	the many places where RT2 will be better for abuse than RT1.

> 2) Classification/stats?  Wanna know how many spam complaints
> this week, how many scans of our corporate servers, etc.  RT2
> keywords seem ideal, how to get around it in RT1?

	Comments, grep, etc.

> > JD, I'm curious as to how stable you find RT2 to be.  My
> > understanding was that the mail gateway was still a little iffy,
> > and thats the most important part for my needs.  Any comments?
>
> Hear, hear. <Listen>

	We're starting to move over to our internally frozen snapshot
	of RT2 this week; we want to rejoin Jesse's source tree as soon
	as we're confident that the snapshot will be stable.

--
J.D. Falk                   "The Internet isn't just a publishing medium or a
Product Manager                     medium for commerce, it's a social medium."