[rt-users] RT2 supports isolated web customers ?

Patrick Hawley phawley at ociweb.com
Tue Jul 10 23:35:14 EDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Gilles-Eric Descamps wrote:
> We've been using RT-1.0.7 internally
> and we're very happy with it
> - although it lacks a limit on the display -
>
> !!! Thanks a bunch !!!
>
> We're considering using RT2 to support
> our customers.
> We would like to offer web & mail interface to our customers.
>
> But customer A should not even suspect that B is a customer of us.
> customer A should only be able to view his own tickets.
> While internal staff should be able to see all customers
> requests in one place.
>
> Would RT2 support that ?
> (RT1 lists the queue existence even if you don't have access to it)
>
> How would you configure RT2 to support
> multiple customers from several companies,
> and isolate each client from each other ?

This might not be the answer you want to hear, and obviously since we're
still using 1.0.7 and haven't looked at 2.x I've no idea what is possible
with 2.x, but we've had a similar need as you mention.

What we've done is bring up separate instances of rt, such that customer A
would go to:

http://customer-a.siliconaccess.com/customer-a/customer-a.cgi

and customer B would go to:

http://customer-b.siliconaccess.com/customer-b/customer-b.cgi

I've untarred the rt archive in to two places:
[path]/customer-a-rt/ and [path]/customer-b-rt/ and from within each of
those, editted each Makefile accordingly (changing the names of the
programs and cgis to be custom name for each customer
(customer-a-mailgate, customer-a-admin, etc. and customer-a.cgi, etc., and
installing them in different directories and even associating each
directory with its own VirtualHost in apache.

Then, when you create each instance (make install), you'll have two
separate entities, which (using .htaccess) allows for your employees to
use the same or existing web accounts to access each one.

This is just a late evening suggestion...if you'd like to know more
specifically what we've done, feel free to drop me a private email, and
I'll do my best to detail it tomorrow morning.

Patrick