[rt-users] Dependencies

Karel P Kerezman rael at zero.kgon.com
Tue Jun 19 12:48:44 EDT 2001

On 19 Jun 2001 11:46:07 -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 19, 2001 11:34:54 -0400, Jesse <jesse at fsck.com> wrote:
> +-----
> | brokenness. Worse comes to worse, you can turn off CPAN's dependency
> | resolution or install the perl modules by hand.
> +--->8
>
> Turning off its dependency resolution doesn't help; certain bundles and
> modules automatically suck in perl 5.6.1 anyway.  Which is just plain
> *broken*, but try telling the CPAN folks that (they think forcing people to
> upgrade is a feature, apparently, even though it's pretty much guaranteed
> severe breakage for sites which use a lot of XS modules).

A-bloody-men! I always configure CPAN to "ask first" but some modules
seem to have a way around that setting. Two of the most unpleasant days
I spent when I was installing RT-1-3-99 were the ones where I fought to
make the transition from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1 after CPAN had done its damage.
A lot of my problems turned out to be on account of the mod_perl problem
(I was trying to DSO, foolish me) but still...

I ended up blowing out my 5.6.0 and siteperl/5.6.0 directories entirely
and reinstalling modules into the 5.6.1 system, coupled with doing the
incestuous mod_perl+Apache build. It just seems to me like some sort of
devious broadside in the "wars" between Perl and PHP...

--
---
  Karel P Kerezman - IS Admin, Entercom Portland LLC -