[rt-users] Using CPAN

Patrick Hawley phawley at ociweb.com
Fri Jun 29 09:34:45 EDT 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Chris Waltham wrote:
> Is there any way to stop Perl from going out and building the latest
> version of Perl
> (I'm guessing 5.6.1) every time I want to install something from CPAN? I mean,

CPAN can be very handy, in that it respolves all dependencies for you
(much in the saem way as FreeBSD's ports system), but while I like it with
the ports, I'm not too fond of CPAN's 5.6.1 retrieval in the situation you
mention.

What I do instead of using CPAN is go to:
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/mod_perl/cpan-search?request=search

I search for the module I need (Data::Dumper, for instance), click
download, gunzip, untar, perl Makefile.pl, make, make tests, make install,
and that's it.

Maybe it's just a control thing, but I prefer to do it that way. ;)

Patrick