[rt-users] Using CPAN

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Fri Jun 29 09:46:37 EDT 2001

CW> Being the type of Unix administrators (rare, I'm sure) not to use
CW> Perl too often, I was wondering if someone could tell me something
CW> about CPAN.

The to make perl not do this, you need the latest CPAN module.  Here's
what I do when I install a machine.

First, run the original cpan:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

now inside the cpan shell, type "install CPAN" followed by "reload
cpan" and then "install Bundle::CPAN".  This will now issue a warning
of outdated modules that are part of perl 5.6.1 rather than upgrade
your perl for you, which is quite antisocial.  You can safely install
the other modules now.