[rt-users] CPAN autobundles

Elaine -HFB- Ashton elaine at chaos.wustl.edu
Sun Nov 18 18:57:25 EST 2001

Matt Disney [mdisney at ecdev.fedex.com] quoth:
*>
*>Has anyone ever considered creating a CPAN RT autobundle for each
*>release, or at least for each time the perl module requirements
*>change?
*>
*>I haven't had much experience with doing CPAN stuff. At the places
*>I've worked (as a sysadmin) there hasn't been much of a need for
*>many different perl modules aside from those included with Perl.
*>As such, this autobundle thing could be a really bad idea for some
*>reason. But I was just reading the docs on it the other day so I
*>thought I would bring it up.

autobundle is slightly different than bundle in that autobundle is a
directive in the CPAN.pm command-line interface to either make a bundle of
everything on the system or a bundle of a few modules specified in the
argument, both of which make a bundle.

Bundles are very useful and there aren't many cons to using them that I
can think of and I wish authors would use them more often. I use them
frequently for installing sets of modules across machines to ensure
consistency.

http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#How_make_bundle covers how to make
a bundle either by autobundle or via h2xs with a bit of manual editing.

The only problem with Jesse making a CPAN bundle is that he hasn't put RT
modules up on CPAN just yet and unless you have configured your CPAN.pm to
use CPAN::Site and have a local repository it wouldn't be of much use to
the average CPAN.pm user.

e.