[rt-users] CPAN autobundles

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Nov 19 13:29:49 EST 2001

> Bundles are very useful and there aren't many cons to using them that I
> can think of and I wish authors would use them more often. I use them
> frequently for installing sets of modules across machines to ensure
> consistency.

So the thing about bundles that fails for RT is that sometimes, we need
to make sure that a module is _not_ newer than a certain version (such as
some of the recent difficulties with DBD::mysql beta releases.)  This is why
I put together the testdeps/fixdeps stuff.  It also allows me as a software
vendor to have users send me the output of testdeps, where it's exceedingly
clear that they haven't installed the required modules ;)

There's also the small problem that RT's requirements change from version to
version, as dependencies get yanked or added. I haven't seen a clean
way to set up bundles in cpan to deal well with this.

	jesse