[rt-users] sperl vs. suidperl

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Sep 29 16:43:44 EDT 2001

On Saturday, September 29, 2001 22:00:46 +0200, "Vincent - D. Ertner"
<vincent at eec.de> wrote:
+-----
| I have under /usr/bin two files
|
|    sperl5.6.0 and
|    suidperl
|
| both same in size and date - and they're not symlinked.
| Which s*perl is used?
+--->8

That'd be becaause they're hard links.

"suidperl" will always be the "current" version of Perl.  Given that
mod_perl is version-dependent, I'd use the other one instead.

| And another one: yast (SuSE 7.1) is always killing the suid
| flag ... any good idea to work around that?
+--->8

Edit /etc/permissions to set the appropriate permissions; SuSE 7.x is more
paranoid than earlier releases and resets permissions on suid files not in
/etc/permissions whenever /sbin/SuSEconfig runs.  (Which would be less of a
problem if it actually honored PERMISSION_SECURITY in /etc/rc.config so you
could add the correct permissions to /etc/permissions.local and not have
them be overwritten when aaa_base is upgraded....)

brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering                                   KF8NH
carnegie mellon university     [linux: proof of the million monkeys theory]