[rt-users] separating users from different queues

Manfred Bathelt Manfred.Bathelt at epost.de
Tue Apr 30 19:31:39 EDT 2002

Hi,

I recently installed rt 2.0.12 on a box to handle tickets for different
products/tasks of
my employer with external users of other companies. Well, after some
installation it
worked pretty well - congratulations to the developers for the effort
since 1.x versions of rt!

After some in-depth usage, I have some unsolved issues left:

1. I want to keep one single instance of rt for several different queues
- that works well so far.
But I need to keep users from one queue away from reading tickets in
other queues, while
I do not want to keep them from tickets in their own queue. I did not
get this with playing
around with rights at the pseudo-groups level. Then I created a
"member"-group for each queue
and gave "SeeQueue" and "Showticket" for the specific group and cleared
all rights for
pseudo-groups - but the ticket seach pages/home of priviledged users
obviously does
not care about these rights and always shows all queues and allows
direct jump to tickets
by entering ticket numbers.
So I can not keep tickets related to one queue secret to users of
another queue, which is a
major problem to me in some cases.
I'm not quite sure whether this is this a bug in the find/browse
WebUI-Module or a feature to
open rt contents to the world, but I would be really glad, if someone
could give me a hint
here how to fix this easily!

2. Privileged users with not much privileges (see 1.) get the full
complexity of the
administrators Web-UI - which is not neccessary.  Isn't there a simple
way to give my usergroup
members an easier view to let them search, browse and enter tickets as
unprivileged users?

3. Administering several queues on a single instance of rt is not
possible as far as I can see.
If I had access to the wishlist I would enter:
      :-D
"make all WebUI-Templates specific to the (virtual) host name of the web
server and place
the host name within the data base, too. This way one could have several
queues with
same Web-UI within a single vhost, and create several vhosts to handle
different
WebUIs. This should not be difficult if a copy of each of the WebUIs is
just placed in
a subdirectory with the vhosts name."

Thank you in advance for any help!

Manfred