[rt-users] RT2 Speed/performance problems.

David C. Troy dave at toad.net
Tue Aug 20 10:47:25 EDT 2002

Maren,

You're on crack.  I've got a system with about 50,000 tickets in it and
it runs very fast.

If you knew anything about the code, you'd know the bulk of the speed
issues derive from the backend database, not RT itself.  Perhaps you are
having issues there, or your database is not optimized.

Not to flame you, but that msg is the most ignorant comment about a piece
of software I've seen in ages.

Admittedly, there are ways RT and the database backend could be
accelerated, but discuss those with knowledge of how algorithms and
systems actually work.  Look at the code, ask questions, and offer
suggestions, but don't complain about it.

Throwing hardware at the problem was probably your first mistake.  If a 2
CPU, RAID, 512MB system is 'slow' then you've got serious problems.  If
you had bothered to ask the list, you'd know that RT2 can run just fine on
plain old single CPU/IDE systems.  I use a PIII 700 with IDE and over
50,000 tickets and 30 users and it works great.

I'm sorry, but it's people like you who give IT professionals a bad name.
Go to school or read a book and learn something about your profession.
Til then, you'd probably be better off lurking humbly on maillists such as
these than displaying your ignorance with such panache.

Dave

David C. Troy   [dave at toad.net]                   410-544-6193 Sales
ToadNet - Want to go fast?                        410-544-1329 FAX
570 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, MD 21146-2925  www.toad.net