[rt-users] RT2 Speed/performance problems.

David C. Troy dave at toad.net
Tue Aug 20 11:11:16 EDT 2002

> > Not to flame you, but that msg is the most ignorant comment about a piece
> > of software I've seen in ages.
> >

> You are entitled to your opinion. However isn't it ignorant not to accept
> that other people could be having and experience different to
> yours using RT2?

I accept that completely.  If you wanted help fixing it, I'd even offer
some suggestions on how to bring your experience into line with the way
the software works when it's properly configured.

> Well I shared my view I am off this list, I just want to know if anyone
> can recommend something small and light, that's all, ideally PHP based.

So you can enjoy all the dumb bugs in PHP as opposed to the dumb bugs in
mod_perl. :)  The file_upload thing in 4.0.6 is a good one...

> Well that is good for you. I do know of a company that has hired Jesse to
> customise RT for their requirements and they also told me it is a complete
> pig. As for throwing hardware at the problem, that is the hardware I had
> but obviously one has to go with slower hardware to go faster?

RT may have some areas where performance could be improved based on its
reliance on mod_perl and Mason, but these dependencies don't render the
software unusable and are not the limiting factors for performance.
Decent, well tuned software doesn't require fat hardware to work well, and
RT falls within this envelope.

When you say things like 'RT is a complete pig', what do you mean,
exactly?  MySQL is a pig?  Apache is a pig?  Perl is a pig?  mod_perl is a
pig?  Mason is a pig?  PostgreSQL is a pig?

Again, there are always ways software can be improved, but what I'm
telling you is that your experience is way outside of the bell curve for
the software/hardware you're talking about, and that you should probably
investigate that.

Dave

David C. Troy   [dave at toad.net]                   410-544-6193 Sales
ToadNet - Want to go fast?                        410-544-1329 FAX
570 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, MD 21146-2925  www.toad.net