[rt-users] Newbie question: Upgrading Mason...

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Tue Aug 27 10:55:57 EDT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Jim Keene wrote:

> matter. I have a system with performance problems and I have looked into the
> excellent suggestions on this list as setting MaxRequestPerChild, etc. Now I
> have discoverd that I am running Mason 1.02. One of the issues about
> improving performance was to use Mason 1.05, 1.12, or 1.1201. Now is my
> stupid quiestion: Could I use CPAN to upgrade Mason and then just restart my
> Apache server, or do I need another make and 'make install' ?

I think you misinterpreted something I wrote.  Mason 1.05 is faster than
Mason 1.10+ (including the latest and greatest, 1.13).  However, Mason
1.05 is probably very little different from any Mason release between 0.85
and 1.05.

1.05 contains some minor bugfixes compared to 1.02, but nothing that is
likely to affect RT, to the best of my knowledge.

1.10+ contains quite a number of cool new features, but these are only of
interest to people actively developing applications that _use_ Mason.  So
while Jesse may want to explore new Mason features in the future as he
works on RT, it is not all that likely that RT users will find a need for
the newer versions of Mason, unless they are heavily customizing RT
themselves.

In other words, I would suggest not upgrading.  It ain't broke and all
that.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun