[rt-users] Sqwebmail removes [...] from Subject (Interoperability between Courier and RT)

Binand Raj S. binand at gmx.net
Fri Dec 27 22:26:17 EST 2002

Hi All,

Courier-MTA (http://www.courier-mta.org) is a complete email system
that my employer uses for corporate mailing.  It includes a package
called sqwebmail, a web-based email client that we have installed so
that employees can access their emails when they are out of office/slow
internet connection.

Sqwebmail, when replying to a mail, removes \[[^\]]*\] (hope I got that
correct :) from the Subject: header. The reasoning is that [...] is
used only by mailing lists; hence when replied if the reply goes back
to the mailing list the mailing list software restores the tag anyway,
and if the reply goes back to the sender the tag is nonexistent.

When I asked on courier-users whether this behaviour was configurable,
this is what I got:

<quote>
It is not wise for "ticketing systems" to mimic behavior that's been
used by mailing list processord for a long time before those "ticketign
systems" were invented.
</quote>

Is the usage of square brackets configurable in RT? (I have about a
thousand tickets now, so even if it is, its going to be hard changing
all of them, plus the extra user education).

BTW, not just RT, but many CRM packages use [...] to track tickets.
I don't think any RFC or other standard reserves that tag for mailing
lists - or is it?

Binand