[rt-users] Re: Sqwebmail removes [...] from Subject (Interoperability between Courier and RT)

acli@ada.dhs.org via news-to-mail gateway news-misc at ada.dhs.org
Sat Dec 28 03:14:52 EST 2002

In article <20021228032617.GA22837 at binand.cysphere.com>,
Binand Raj S. <binand at gmx.net> wrote:

>When I asked on courier-users whether this behaviour was
>configurable, this is what I got:
>
><quote>
>It is not wise for "ticketing systems" to mimic behavior that's
>been used by mailing list processord for a long time before
>those "ticketign systems" were invented.
></quote>

This statement is AFAIK false, and certainly arrogant (what
if the user puts something in square brackets? What if the
user is Swedish and the square brackets are not really square
brackets? Are humans not allowed to use square brackets in
Subject?). AFAIK, mailing lists only started using square
brackets in 1996 or so (and then the "square bracket convention"
was not even established; different lists used different formats
for tags, a lot did not use "square brackets").

Even if RT really dates back only to 1996 (the author of the
"Call Center, Bug Tracking and Project Management Tools for
Linux" page claimed that RT actually dates back to before 1995),
it already used square brackets back then (RT 1.0.0), when the
"square brackets" convention for mailing lists was still not
firmly established.

For a more concrete counterexample, we can dig up Req 1.1,
dating back to 1994 and it also already used square brackets.
AFAIK, mailing lists did not even use any tags back in 1994.

If RT 1.0.0 cannot refute the false claim that ticketing systems
using square brackets for ticket numbers are invented "after"
mailing lists' use of square brackets for tags, surely Req
1.1 (with its ancient 1994 date) can completely refute such
false claims. If I am not wrong in my dating (when mailing lists
started using tags), the evidence shows that mailing lists
started mimicking the behaviour of ticketing systems which were
then in existence, not the other way round as falsely claimed.

--
Ambrose Li  <a.c.li at ieee.org>
http://ada.dhs.org/~acli/cmcc/  http://www.cccgt.org/

DRM is theft - We are the stakeholders