[rt-users] RT talking to RT

Florian Weimer Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Sat Dec 28 08:31:39 EST 2002

We are probably an unusual RT user because a significant number of the
tickets in our RT system are created by us, for external requestors.
(When we spot a problem, we create a new RT ticket and send mail to
the responsible party.)

We have currently extended our network monitoring to detect anomalies
involving external hosts, so we send report to people who run their
own trouble ticket system (surprisingly often RT! ;-).  Some of them
discard the subject (we can fix this easily by using per-ticket email
addresses), and most of them write their own tracking number into the
subject.  The subject associated with our ticket does not contain this
tracking information, and it has to be added manually.

I think I'm going to implement the following: On ticket creation, the
requestor receives a message with a special email address which
includes the ticket ID and an additional suffix ("-first" maybe).
When the mail gateway receives a message to such an address, it checks
whether the subject of the ticket has already been changed (by
searching for such a transaction).  If no subject change occured, the
ticket subject is modified to match that of the incoming reply.

Does this seem sound?  Has anybody implemented it already? ;-)

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/