[rt-users] Bounce messages create tickets

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Tue Jan 29 16:38:37 EST 2002

Vivek Khera wrote:
> The envelope FROM address *should* be "nobody at your.domain"

It should?

The envelope will be whatever user your MTA runs as (for an
email-generated reply) -- on some systems this is daemon, or
mail, or pretty much anything. It probably should NOT be nobody.

> which
> should go to /dev/null.

Why? I've never seen a requirement for a /dev/null address.

> If it is that way, then the remote side is
> *ucked up and sending bounces to the message header "From" address
> rather than the SMTP envelope address, and is not properly
> implementing SMTP.  There is no way you can work around all such
> broken software out there.

This much is true. Unless you have a config I've never seen before,
bounce replies to RT-generated correspondence shouldn't appear at
an RT address. However, there's a lot of dain-bramaged software out
there that wouldn't know an envelope if it cut itself opening one.