[rt-users] Modifying domain on RT replies

Jim Meyer purp at wildbrain.com
Thu Jan 31 16:50:11 EST 2002

Hi Josh and Kendric!

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 13:10, Beachey, Kendric wrote:
> > From: Joshua Ayson [mailto:emerald at u.washington.edu]
> >
> > I'm wondering if I could get some advice for modifying the domain on
> > e-mails that RT sends.
> >
> > I just want to shorten it from:
> >
> >  RT_user at xxx.yyy.zzz
> >  RT_user at yyy.zzz
>
> I have a semi-related issue.  Our rt instance lives on a box called
> "nairobi", but we set up an IP alias for it called "rt".  So if you send
> mail to "queue at rt.blah.com", it will arrive in the right place.
>
> And I have set up the queues in rt to think that their
> correspondence/comment addresses are in that form, "queue at rt.blah.com".
>
> But when RT sends out mail, it always comes from "queue at nairobi.blah.com".
>
> Anyone know how to make RT send mail from the address the way I set it up?
> Or does the MTA step in and change it, so it's out of RT's hands?  (In which
> case, how do I make sendmail leave it alone?)

Well, one way to fix this is to have the MTA know who it's supposed to
identify as. If you're using sendmail, there's a line in your
sendmail.cf file:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

Uncomment the last line, change the "$w.Foo.COM" part to "yyy.zzz" or
"rt.blah.com" and restart sendmail. You should get what you want from
that.

Cheers!

--j

p.s. If it's not sendmail, I wouldn't know my elbow from a hand grenade.
Jim Meyer, Geek At Large                              purp at wildbrain.com