[rt-users] "Correspondence added" but no message content

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jul 2 16:16:53 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 2 July 2002, at 15 h 37,
Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> The problem seems related, in a strange way, to composed characters
> (like ç, à or é). Mails without such characters always get through
> fine. Mails with such characters sometimes are recorded (so I assume
> MIME headers, PostgreSQL's charset, etc, are OK) and sometimes not.
> I have similar RT installations where almost all of the messages are
> in French and everything is fine. I fail to see what's special at this
> particular non-working installation.

The PostgreSQL database had UNICODE as its encoding instead of SQL_ASCII (and
the failure to decode my characters as Unicode was logged by PostgreSQL). Once
the encoding was changed, it works again.

Unfortunately, it seems that RT does not test if the UPDATE in the Attachments
table was successful :-( And therefore the message was lost. Very bad.