[rt-users] changing domain

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Tue Jul 30 12:17:42 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:43:11AM -0400, Harald Wagener <hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com> wrote:
> Rick Rezinas wrote:
>
> > yeah, caught that.  Not my call on this one, just wondering if anyone
> > has experience with this, and what in particular to watch out for.  The
> > boss is already aware of the probably existing tickets problem, and has
> > deemed it acceptable loss (most of which will probably be my time ;)
>
> In the long run, it won't be much of a hassle. We changed our
> $rtname after a few hundred tickets, and since we did not get back
> to the old tickets, nothing strage popped up.

When we changed ticketing systems outright, the format of the
ticket-id in the Subject: line changed, making it roughly equivalent
to changing $rtname. We just modified rt-mailgate to tweak the
old-style ticket-id to look like the new one, and things Just Worked.

(No-one uses the old-style ticket-id anymore but the code is still there
simply because there's really no point in removing it.)

You ought to be able to do the same thing in rt-mailgate or in a
preprocessing hook using Simon's mail-hooks contrib.

> I would not recommend switching $rtname more than once without flushing the
> ticket database (maybe thatis an option?).

I don't believe it's a database issue; the rtname is never stored in
the database. The problem is that RT uses $rtname to decide if a
ticket is one of its own tickets, or if it's a ticket from someone
else's instance of RT.

Cheers

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!