[rt-users] Interfacing with RT via PHP

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jun 19 07:41:26 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 08:52:01PM +0100,
 Simon Cozens <rt at netthink.co.uk> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> Also, can I just say: referential integrity. Grubbing around in the database
> is just fine, so long as you're *sure* you're going to implement it in a way
> that's not going to break things.

Yes, RT's schema should implement referential integrity. That way,
people could develop applications in whatever language they choose,
confident that the DBMS will prevent them from breaking things.

I assume that, if it is not done, it is because of MySQL's weaknesses?

> On a general note, it seems to me that expecting to simply be able to build an
> RT-based application while switching from Perl to PHP is quite like expecting
> to simply be able to build a house while switching from bricks to foam rubber.

It is very common in the real world to have complicated systems
centered on a DBMS with referential integrity and applications written
in various languages.

The MySQL way to have all applications built around the same library
(to implement constraints), which means they all have to use the same
language, is incredibly outdated.

> But still, people want to do crazy things, which is why SOAP was invented.
> A SOAP interface to RT is being worked on; I'm sure the original poster will
> be in touch with Jesse to volunteer to help its development.

<positive>
Excellent idea, that's what Web Services are for.
</positive>

<troll>
Why SOAP and not the simpler XML-RPC?
</troll>