[rt-users] importing a whack of old tickets into a week old install

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Sun Mar 3 18:13:09 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 06:24, Ryan Speed wrote:

> Is is safe for me to write a perl script that re-writes the ticket id's and inserts them into the live database?  How will it effect RT if there are tickets with a higher ticket number but older timestamps?

Yes, but no.  I cannot see a reason why RT2 would object if you did
this, but if someone replies to a ticket that's been renumbered, their
reply will be lost, or added to the wrong ticket.  Perhaps you can
renumber only those that would conflict and hope that's far enough back
in time that you won't get new correspondence on them?

If you do renumber the tickets, be extra careful to ensure you've
updated all references to the ticket id in other tables ;)

--
bje