[rt-users] importing a whack of old tickets into a week old install

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Mon Mar 4 07:36:15 EST 2002

On 4 Mar 2002, Byron Ellacott wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 06:24, Ryan Speed wrote:
>
> > Is is safe for me to write a perl script that re-writes the ticket id's and inserts them into the live database?  How will it effect RT if there are tickets with a higher ticket number but older timestamps?
>
> Yes, but no.  I cannot see a reason why RT2 would object if you did
> this, but if someone replies to a ticket that's been renumbered, their
> reply will be lost, or added to the wrong ticket.  Perhaps you can
> renumber only those that would conflict and hope that's far enough back
> in time that you won't get new correspondence on them?

In any case, if you're ever in the instance of having a new installation
as a temporary measure (or slow upgrade), put a fake row in the Tickets
table with an id number above the highest number in the previous
installation.  This will insure that new tickets created will be numbered
(thanks to auto_increment on the id column) in a way that doesn't conflict
with your previous ticketing system.

Not that Byron or I have any liking for keeping the same numbering system
or anything ;)

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B                      Operations