[rt-users] OT: Open Source Asset Tracking

Swayne, Mark A mark.a.swayne at xo.com
Thu May 23 17:49:33 EDT 2002

You know I was just looking into this the other day.

There seem to be about 3000 nascent projects on source forge, all
implemented in PHP, with a status of Alpha or less.

There are some usable PHP solutions, but IRM seemed most interesting.
http://irm.schoenefeld.org/index.phtml

Since I'm not wild about platform proliferation, I restricted my search to
Perl implementations.  Tech Tracker seems to be about the only thing going.
http://www.tt.isnmg.com/

TT uses a perl library called ONETABLE to do most of its DB interaction.
This started me thinking.  What could be abstracted from RT to create a
basic app server, that RT is hosted on.   RT does a lot of what an appserver
needs to do user management, session tracking, database abstraction.  Of
course I'm probably about a thousand years away from actually being able
(time and ability-wise) to design and implement something like this.  So I'm
just dreaming.

Let me know if you find something else that's good.