[rt-users] OT: Open Source Asset Tracking

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu May 23 18:11:43 EDT 2002

> This started me thinking.  What could be abstracted from RT to create a
> basic app server, that RT is hosted on.   RT does a lot of what an appserver
> needs to do user management, session tracking, database abstraction.  Of
> course I'm probably about a thousand years away from actually being able
> (time and ability-wise) to design and implement something like this.  So I'm
> just dreaming.

Yes. I've put some energy in along this front. The ticketing system won't
be abstracted from the session managment and database managment in the
next release, nor in the release after that, but that does capture the
direction that a lot of this is heading in.  I started doing the initial
work for something like that when I built the first prototypes of RT/FM,
RT's companion documentation manager.  The RT app toolkit isn't there yet,
but it is something I have my eye on.

	Best,
	Jesse

PS  An seet tracking tightly integrated into RT  is definitely something
that I'd be thrilled to make happen. If anyone has budget earmarked
for such a thing, they should definitely ping me off-list or, better yet,
send some mail to sales at bestpractical.com