[rt-users] Newbie trouble: keywords don't work

Alexander Dupuy dupuy at sysd.com
Fri May 24 14:08:57 EDT 2002

Rich lafferty writes:
> Because you're a newbie for a couple weeks, and an experienced user
> for years. :-)

On the other hand, the number of newbies who run into this problem >>>
the number of experienced users who need '/' characters in their
keywords.  On most systems, you can't have '/' characters in your
filenames either, but I haven't heard people complain too much about that.

> and have a keyword select rooted at "Shirts/Size" one level deep,
> and one rooted at "Shirts/Color" one level deep. So you want
> your keyword boxes to look like
>
>   Size [ M   ]    Color [ Solid black     ]
>        [ L   ]          [ Red/blue stripe ]
>
> Since *RT* doesn't have to be protected from slashes in keywords, the
> user doesn't need to be protected from it either; slashes in keywords
> should work just fine. Of course, if they don't actually work, that's
> a real bug. :-)

You can always use "Red&blue stripe" or "Red-blue stripe" etc.  And an
experienced user can always search the perl code for the error message
they receive and disable the check; this is a lot harder for a newbie
(especially since the error message you get in that case is far removed
from the source of the problem).

@alex
mailto:dupuy at sysd.com