[rt-users] RT Spell Check

Michael Grubb mgrubb at fifthvision.net
Thu Nov 7 15:52:08 EST 2002

Well, I disagree.

Writing a spell checker for RT has been on my todo list for sometime,
(Albeit low on said list =] ),  I think that there is room for an
elegant server side solution.

I was thinking of something very similar to Rick Bradley's solution.
Except that I had planned on putting a seperate button for spell check,
and then just replacing the contents of the update box once the check
was complete.  My plan is to offer suggestions in a drop down box, with
a couple of other options in addition. Having an `Add' and `Custom'
option in each.  The `Add' option would add the word to the user's
dictionary.  The `Custom' option would mark the word and prompt the user
for a suitable replacement.  I was planning on adding another text box
field to the user preferences to manage the user dictionary.
My first scratch was not planning on implementing the custom dictionary.
I was planning on using Aspell as the spell checker.
I think that it can be done very elegantly with no clunk at all.
After all I think that the StockAnswers module (packaging problems
aside) was a fairly elegant solution.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Michael