[rt-users] RT Spell Check

Rick Bradley rt-users at rickbradley.com
Thu Nov 7 15:35:06 EST 2002

* Christian Gilmore (cgilmore at tivoli.com) [021107 14:12]:
> Without doing something client-side (like a java applet that came with a
> pre-loaded speller/editor), anything you do will be clunky. You could insert
> an interface to ispell within RT's correspondence method or doing one of a
> few other possibilities, but in the end you'd accept a correspondence, spell
> check it, then respond with an error about all of the misspellings for the
> user to then hunt around. I believe that your best, easiest course would be
> to ask users to write their messages in an external application and then
> paste in the result.

In a former life I wrote a spellchecker into a CMS that used an
HTML-only interface.  The back-end was ispell with Debian's HTML syntax
patch (invoked by a Perl script called by the form submission handler
(PHP)).  The handler would pull back the results from ispell and
generate a new <form> with pulldowns (values were ispell suggestions)
and entry boxes for misspelled words.  The second submit would be
considered authoritative (i.e., if it's still misspelled just trust the
user).

Frankly, having implemented and deployed this I can guarantee it's
overkill (did I mention that CMS also hooked into GIMP for logo
generation?).

These days my advice is to simply get users who can spell -- it's more
cost-effective, and in this economy one can afford to be picky ;-)

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 461    (60F/60F)
                       |  I'll try to figure
   random email haiku  |  it out attach things under