[rt-users] Split Ticket

Tony Aiuto tony at ics.com
Mon Nov 18 10:21:42 EST 2002

>on Nov 18 05:01:02 2002 Dirk Pape <pape at inf.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>>--On 29. Oktober 2002 9:55 Uhr -0500 Tony Aiuto <tony at ics.com> wrote:
>> I need a feature that will let me split a ticket into N
>> tickets.  We often get bug reports that are 2 or more
>> separate issues.   What I would like to do is copy
>> all the data from the original ticket into the new
>> tickets.  Then the support staffer doing the split
>> can edit the subject and content on each to divide
>> the problems.   Ideally, if you ask to split into
>> 3 tickets, you should get 3 popup dialogs which
>> present the subject and text of the original
>> so that you can edit them down as a single process.

>it would be a dream if the following scenario would be supported on
>splitting:
>
>a simple way to create n tickets out of one ticket so that the former
>ticket depends on the n newly created ones, the former ticket can then be
>set to stalled, the new ones to new.

The split ticket patch I sent around a week or two ago copies
status of the original parent.   I think making them 'new' might
be a good idea as well.  I guess I can make that tunable through
config.pm.

As far as making the parent stalled.  I wonder about that.
Is it *really* stalled, or is it just a function over the
child statuses.   That is, if all the children are 'new', then
it is 'new'.  If at least one is open, then it's open.  If
one is stalled, then it is stalled.   Is there a "right"
answer to this question, or even a "good enough" answer,
or should it be a site tunable parameter?

>If it happens that all of the child tickets are resolved, the former
>ticket's status should change automatically to open and can be manually
>resolved.

Hmm, where to put this functionality?   Should that be a Scrip Action
fired by "OnStatus" of the child or should it be code within
Ticket.pm itself?    It is really sort of a global Condition.
I change state, but that causes a condition my parent cares
about to be true, so my parent wants a Scrip to trigger.

>afterwards, if one of the resolved child ticket's status change again, the
>parent tickets status should change to open again.

I would do this with Scrips.  We could easily make an Action for
"OpenParentTicket".   You would fire that on whatever condition you
think is right.   I would only open the parent if the status
changes to open or new from not open or new, but some people might want
it on any status change, or perhaps on a queue change.

>How could that be achieved? If anybody has an outline, which is consistent
>with RT's development, I might have some ressources to contribute.
>Dirk

Have you tried my split ticket patch?  I would be happy to
make parts of it tuneable.     Would you like to investigate
and work on how to change parent status to open when the
children get resolved?   Especially w.r.t what features RT 3
has that might help.

-tony