[rt-users] Newbie confusion

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Tue Nov 26 12:04:37 EST 2002

Am Dienstag, 26.11.02 um 17:17 Uhr schrieb Dave Sill:

> Phil Homewood <pdh at snapgear.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> http://fsck.com/rtfm/article.html?id=2#50
>
> Yeah, I followed that when I installed RT, and it was a help. I was
> looking for something a little more detailed, and including some usage
> examples.
>
> If it doesn't exist--which is apparently the case--that's OK, I'll
> muddle along like everyone else.

Hello Dave,
I think it's near impossible to do a 'basic setup scenario' for RT.
I've installed RT for a number of locations, and from company to
company, there seem to be very different expectations regarding RT,
most of which are fulfilled. RT is a very generic, malleable piece of
software - that's what makes it so great. There is almost no need to
change Your way of working when introducing RT, except if You want it
that way. At our office for example, RT is more of a documenation and
centralized communication convenience, whereas in other places it is
used to manage administration and support task on a very formal level,
including analyses of worked time per ticket and so on.

Normally, You should first sit down and write up what You want to
achieve with RT, then look up in the archives if someone has done
something similar. If yes, try to understand what needed to be done to
achieve his goals. If no, You might have gotten an idea about how RT
works nonetheless by perusing the archives. If You have an interesting
problem or a setup that has not been discussed before, feel free to ask
the list. More often than not, the bright minds on this list will be
able to give You the right hints to do the Right Thing(tm).

If all else fails, it's quite easy to hire someone, even Jesse the man
himself, to help You out. It's not that expensive.

Regards,
	Harald

PS: I could try to do this in an even more inflated manner for the
manual 'how to get along with RT...' if anybody thinks that is a good
idea.

--
Harald Wagener * FCB/Wilkens * An der Alster 42 * 20099 Hamburg