[rt-users] RT <-> Knowledge Base

dphull at ku.edu dphull at ku.edu
Thu Oct 24 10:19:24 EDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Len Kranendonk wrote:

> We also have the need for a Knowledge Base to save solutions, patches,
> screenshots, etc. Ideally, this Knowledge Base and the ticketing system
> are integrated.
>
> My questions:
> - Does RT has a kind of "Knowledge Base" function, so that solutions
> and technical information can be stored without logging a new call ?
> - If no, is it difficult to add this functionality to the RT framework ?
> - Are there already addons for RT that provide this functionality ?

In my view, and this is reflected in the way we're trying to use RT at our
site, RT is the construction tool for the knowledgebase and it is
currently the only method we have of extracting information from the
knowledgebase.

In other words, as problems and projects are entered into RT, we try and
keep a very detailed log of what steps have been taken to fix a problem.
Ideally, every problem entered into RT eventually has a solution posted
into RT as well.

Months down the road as the same problem crops up elsewhere, we are able
to do a search in RT on words or phrases related to the problem and pull
up tickets from previous instances of the problem where we can then find
how we solved the problem in the past.

I've personally used the system in this way many times and am slowly but
surely convincing my fellow staff members to use the system in this same
way. Their are some problems, however, for instance the other day we had a
machine that had been hacked in the same manner as a different computer on
our network a few months earlier.

I knew we had a ticket on this hack and how we cleaned the machine up, but
I could not find the ticket using words that I was sure would be in the
ticket. My coworker logged into the same RT database with the same
permissions as myself entered the same words in her search and was able to
pull up the ticket.

I tried the search again, but it still did not work for me. By mistake I
hit the search button a second time, lo and behold, the ticket came up.
It's little problems like this that have my superiors questioning the
value of using RT. However, I still see some value in using the system, we
were able to locate the ticket and implement the same solution without too
much trouble, though it would be nice to have the system working
consistently.

For what it's worth, we're running version 2.0.13.

If someone has a "knowledgebase" interface they are using to access
solutions from RT, I'd love to hear about it, but so far the built in
functionality has worked adequately for our needs.

--
Dave Hull
Senior Information Technology Analyst