[rt-users] Missing Status for Tickets that cannot be resolved

Rob Walker rob at myinternetplace.net
Mon Oct 28 02:57:22 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 00:39, Ruben Schattevoy wrote:

> I understand that your solution works perfectly. Nevertheless I
> have problems in asigning the attribuite "resolved" to a ticket
> which is actually "dead" because it's somebody else's problem
> and still _not_ resolved. I would prefere a solution with one
> more status, say, "garbage". Then I could assign status "garbage"
> to tickets which where entered accidentally and assign "dead"
> to thouse which can't be fixed by us. Having an extra keyword
> indicating the reason for this ticket ending in status "dead"
> whould be nice, either!

I don't see it as "dead" if it is a problem that someone has brought to
me to take care of.  I mean, if my customer has come to me to fix it,
and it is on a third party's plate, I still want the ticket to be open,
but "waiting on somebody else".  That way, when they get to it, and fix
their problem, I can move it out of "waiting on somebody else" and back
to "waiting on me".

At one point, ciscoSystems TAC had the idea of "CE-pending",
"DE-pending", "Cust-pending", which were all valid states for an Open
ticket.  As a CE, we didn't get it counted against us as much for
Cust-pending tickets as much as for CE-pending.  Of course, grouping by
each option was done as needed, so that we knew if we needed to ping the
customer, ping the developer, or get something done ourselves.

Maybe another queue is in order, to hold all of these things which other
people need to get done for you?

rob