[rt-users] Merging and Replies

Geoff Richards qef at rosies-dumplings.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 04:53:01 EST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:21:37PM -0700, Sera wrote:
> We are using 2.0.14, and overall quite pleased.  I started messing with the
> Merge option but found that it has some functionality that makes it useless
> for us, unless I can figure out a way to modify it.  I've tried several
> things but nothing works as we need yet.
>
> Example, our news server crashes and we get 5 email asking why they can't
> reach it.  I want to merge them all into one message so that I can send a
> reply as to the damage, and later a reply saying it's back up.
>
> If I merge them now, send out the explanation, and a user replies, it goes
> to all users.  I don't want this to become a mailing list for many
> reasons.. one the potential for abuse, two I don't want to flood users
> mailboxes with "Thanks for the help" from other users, etc...
>
> So I want the reply to just come to our email address, and not go to
> others.  However, if I remove them as requestors, I lose the ability to
> send out the Mass reply when it's back up.
>
> Is there a way to create a setup that allows this usage?  Thanks in
> advance.

I don't think there's a way to do exactly what you want, but the way
we address a similar issue is to have a 'parent' ticket with all the
individual ones as children.  You can do a search for the children
and reply to all of them at once, or just an individual one.

Of course, this is a lot of work to manage, so it might be more efficient
to deal with the tickets individually.

   Qef

--

--- Geoff Richards -------><------- www.rosies-dumplings.co.uk/qef ---
"I tried to fling my shadow at the moon,