[rt-users] shut down without losing mail?

Lorens Kockum rt-id-45 at lists.lorens.org
Tue Apr 1 06:36:20 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:48:07AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Is there a clean way to stop RT (to upgrade versions for
> example...) without dropping any inbound email?  Does
> sendmail take some magic return value from a pipe delivery
> as a temporary failure and retry later?

Not by default, no. See 3).

1) Shutdown the mailserver, or just disable incoming mail if
   it's a mailserver dedicated to RT.

2) Use MTA-specific magic to defer mails addressed to RT alias
   instead of giving them to RT.

3) Permanently use MTA-specific magic to defer mails addressed
   to RT alias if giving them to RT results in an error (not
   quite off-the-cuff certain how to do this but pretty sure
   it's possible with exim, otherwise writing a wrapper should
   be very simple, could be incorporated into procmailrc below)

4) Never needed previous solutions because I send my incoming RT
   mail through procmail, to handle the REALLY big attachments,
   the most blatant spam, etc. Promail either sends to RT or to
   a spoolfile. Mutt reads the spoolfile, and I have a macro to
   send to RT directly, bypassing procmail.

   That's nice in itself, so once you have that, it's just a
   matter of putting a comment in a strategic place in the
   procmailrc, and everything goes to the spoolfile until you
   macro it onwards.

   (OK this is for an old RT install but I don't see that RT3
   should be different)

HTH, HAND
--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum