[rt-users] Email addresses case insensitive (RT 2.0.11)

Robert Spier rspier at pobox.com
Wed Apr 23 13:14:33 EDT 2003

Matthew Watson wrote:
>  I've come across this problem with RT, that email address are case
> insensitve, eg, bob at company.com == BOB at company.com , this is causing some
> problems with some of our clients.
>  So, how can I make RT see these two addresses as being different users?
> Looking in Record.pm shows that in LoadByCols it makes everything lowercase
> if RT is connected to a "CaseSensitive" database, but I assume this is just
> the column names, not the actual data?

Are you saying that your client has two addresses:

bob at company.com

and

BOB at company.com

and they are two different people?

Your client has a very broken email system.

I can't find the exact quite in RFC2822 (or related) which defines
case insensitivity, but it is generally accepted (and assumed) that
email addresses (like domain names) are case insensitive.  Any system
which violates this is going to be very unhappy.

-R