[rt-users] Newbie: problem receiving mail through gateway

Jim Rowan jim.rowan at starcore-dsp.com
Tue Aug 12 11:43:21 EDT 2003

EX_TEMPFAIL is telling you that the program that smrsh is trying to run
(rt-mailgate) is returning a code that says it (rt-mailgate) has a
problem processing the message.  I think you're probably beyond
sendmail-related problems.

Here's how to approach debugging:

-          Capture a simple mail message into a file, including the
headers.  (close enough: grab a message with an editor from your mailbox
file, including all the headers)

-          Turn on debugging in RT.  See RT_SiteConfig.pm.  Watch what
happens in the debug log.

-          Feed the test mail message into rt-mailgate manually, and add
the "-debug" flag to rt-mailgate in addition to your other existing
parameters.

-          Watch the output from rt-mailgate and in the debug log.

-          Track down all the "permission denied" errors that you might
get.  Anything that makes rt-mailgate unhappy is a candidate as the
cause of this failure.